Since I can’t really partake in drinking alcohol, or eat much sugar (cuz cancer loves some sugar) my only vice these days is my daily latte…good times. And because coffee is super acidic, I try to break up my coffee consumption by drinking lots of tea. A couple of weeks ago my friend Laura (who by the way is awesome and a colon cancer survivor to boot!) took me to this cute little spot in Echo Park called Honey Hi where they make medicinal shroom dandy “coffee” out of chaga mushrooms. It’s taste mimics the delicious flavor of coffee without the bitterness, acidity or caffeine. Sounds gross, but it was seriously love at first sip and I have literally had one everyday since. One of the owners at this super cute cafe was kind enough to share the ingredients with us, so as soon as I got home, I Amazon Primed them right on over.
Aside from being so delicious, this latte has many health benefits as chaga mushrooms are an immune boosting superfood. Chaga (Inonotus Obliquus) is a mushroom that typically grows on birch trees in colder climates across the Northern Hemisphere. It doesn’t resemble a typical mushroom and is very unsightly, but looks sure can be deceiving. According to the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center webpage, “Laboratory and animal studies show that compounds in chaga can kill cancer cells selectively and stimulate the immune system. It may also have benefits such as reductions in fatigue and inflammation, as well as increased mental sharpness.” These benefits have long been known in the East, where chaga has been used for centuries by people in Siberia, Russia and other parts of Asia but have more recently been gaining popularity in the West. In addition to what I read from Sloan, other research also suggests that chaga has soothing properties, aids with ulcers and gastritis, can normalize blood pressure, and has both antiviral and antioxidant properties. Needless to say, I’m kind of obsessed with this latest discovery. It’s delicious and could potentially kill some cancer cells?…sign me up!
Join me and my latest obsession by following this super simple recipe to make your own delicious and healing Chaga Mushroom Latte:
Here’s what you need:
- 1 packet of Four Sigmatic Chaga Mushroom Elixir Mix(I like that this brand pre packages the powder which makes the process super simple)
- 1 teaspoon or 1 single-serving pouch of Dandy Blend, Instant Dandelion Beverage (this is what makes the latte similar to coffee)
- AROY-D 100% Coconut Milk – to be used as a creamer. This is a Thai brand and the only coconut milk to my knowledge that is pure without any preservatives or additives and comes in a carton as opposed to an aluminum can. And omgggg it’s delicious, it really makes the drink!
Here’s What To Do: (yields one serving)
- Add 1 cup of water to a sauce pan. Empty one packet of the Chaga Elixir to the water. Add one packet (one 1 TSP) of the Dandy Blend
- Mix all together and bring to a gradual boil, mixing frequently. A natural froth will form, giving the mixture a natural, latte-like consistency
- Once it comes to a boil, pour the mixture into your cup and add the AROY-D Coconut Milk to your liking. You don’t need too much as it is very rich. Add the same amount as you would add creamer to your coffee
- I personally like it just as is with these 3 ingredients but I sometimes top it off with a touch of cardamom and cinnamon. If you care to sweeten more, use what you would typically use to sweeten your coffee or latte
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please consult with your oncologist/doctor before taking chaga for any health condition to assure it’s right for you and doesn’t interfere with any treatment protocol that you may be on.